- Listed: March 4, 2016 1:14 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Scientists believe they have discovered a way to “steer” the immune system to kill cancers.
They have developed a method, reported in Science journal, for finding unique markings within a tumour – its “Achilles heel” – that the immune system can target.
But the approach would be expensive, need designing for each individual and has not yet been tried in patients.
Experts said the idea made sense but could be more complicated in reality.
However, the researchers believe their discovery could form the backbone of new treatments and hope to test it in patients within two years.
People have tried to steer the immune system to kill tumours before, but cancer vaccines have largely flopped.
One explanation is that they are training the body’s own defences to go after the wrong target.
The problem is cancers are not made up of identical cells – they are a heavily mutated, genetic mess and samples at different sites within a tumour can look and behave very differently.
They grow a bit like a tree with core “trunk” mutations, but then mutations that branch off in all directions. It is known as cancer heterogeneity.
The international study developed a way of discovering the “trunk” mutations that change antigens – the proteins that stick out from the surface of cancer cells.
Professor Charles Swanton, from the UCL Cancer Institute, added: “This is exciting.
“Now we can prioritise and target tumour antigens that are present in every cell – the Achilles heel of these highly complex cancers.
“This is really fascinating and takes personalised medicine to its absolute limit, where each patient would have a unique, bespoke treatment.”
There are two approaches being suggested for targeting the trunk mutations.
The first is to develop cancer vaccines for each patient that train the immune system to spot them.
The second is to “fish” for immune cells that already target those mutations and swell their numbers in the lab, and then put them back into the body.
Dr Marco Gerlinger, from the Institute of Cancer Research, said:-
“This is a very important step and makes us think about heterogeneity as a problem and why this gives cancer this big advantage.
“Targeting trunk mutations makes sense from many points of view, but it is early days and whether it’s that simple, I’m not entirely sure.
“Many cancers are not standing still but they keep evolving constantly. These are moving targets which makes it difficult to get them under control.
“Cancers that can change and evolve could lose the initial antigen or maybe come up with smokescreens of other good antigens so that the immune system gets confused.”
Some immunotherapy treatments work spectacularly with some patients’ cancer disappearing entirely.
They take the brakes off the immune system, freeing it up to fight cancer.
The researchers hope the combination of removing the immune system’s brakes and then taking over the steering wheel, will save lives.
Professor Peter Johnson, from Cancer Research UK, said: “This fascinating research gives us vital clues about how to specifically tailor treatment for a patient using their immune system.”
Dr Stefan Symeonides, clinician scientist in experimental cancer medicine at the University of Edinburgh, said designing a personalised vaccine was currently impractical, especially when a patient needed treatment straight away.
But he added that the “very elegant” study did provide a ground-breaking insight into current immunotherapy drugs, which do not yet work for most people.
“It’s not just the number of antigens, it’s how many of the cancer cells have them,” he said.
“This data will be quoted in discussions for years, as we try to understand which patients benefit from immunotherapy drugs, which ones don’t, and why, so we can improve those therapies.”
225 total views, 1 today
Users Online Now
Users: 1 Guest
Sponsored Video : WATCH
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
Popular Ads Today
- see shocking before and after photos of a former anorexia sufferer – see photos (23 views)
- Apostle Suleiman is currently trending on Twitter and it’s for calling King David’s mum a harlot (19 views)
- Federal Road Safety Corps recalls the personnel spotted drinking on duty in Anambra state – see photos (18 views)
- No Bounty “NDLEA declares female Lagos socialite wanted over cocaine trafficking (17 views)
- Wickedness as Young girl allegedly brutalized by her boss for eating food with meat (photos/video) (17 views)
- Sad” 3-year-old boy dies after car window closes on his neck (16 views)
- Police arrest doctor who allegedly gave Senator Isiaka Adeleke injection overdose (12 views)
- Father beheads 6-year-old son, chopped off his legs for money ritual – see photos (12 views)
- Visually impaired man gives out his land to shelter over 500 IDPs in Maiduguri (11 views)
- 253 Nigerians voluntarily return from Libya – see photos (11 views)
- is this the normal procedures ? as Lady allegedly asked to submit Winners chapel ‘tithing card’ for employment process at Faith Academy (11 views)
- IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu denies rejecting his bail condition, says he will meet them within 48 hours (10 views)
- Nigerian man welcomes his first child at 87 – see photos (9 views)
- So sad ” Heavy rainfall causes building to collapse, killing mother and son in Nassarawa state – see photos (8 views)
- Speeding car rams into billboard in Lagos, catches fire – see photos (8 views)
- Lady battered by her brother cries out, reveals how he also battered their mother & his wife (7 views)
- Cheap Armstrong Commercial Ceilings in Cincinnati, KY (6 views)
- Are You Looking For Liquid Soap Dispenser? (6 views)
- Come To Nigeria and see ” Magic Johnson gushes over gay son EJ Johnson saying ‘we love him’ – See photos (6 views)
- Sickening! Man hangs himself and his 11 months old daughter, on Facebook Live after suspecting his partner of cheating (6 views)
- young girl who allegedly commited suicide in Northern Nigeria – see photos (6 views)
- See What Gambling, Ponzi Scheme Is Doing To Imo State University Students (IMSU) (6 views)
- Type Ads From Home. Guaranteed Income (4761) (6 views)
- ‘South Africa love me as I am’ – Khanyi Mbau reacts to being compared to ‘raw chicken’ (6 views)
- ISIS claim responsibility for Westminster attack, say the killer answered “ISIS call to target citizens of the coalition.” (5 views)
- DEATH ROW : Rev. King and others on death row in Lagos prisons to be executed soon (5 views)
- Cheap Vape Pens and Vaporizers for sale 2016 (4 views)
- Authentic NFL jerseys (4 views)
- Work at Home Employment Opportunities (4612) (4 views)
- Who care to see ? ” Caitlyn Jenner planning to go nude to show off her new body after gender reassignment surgery (4 views)
- HOTEL CARD LOCK RFID SYSTEM (4 views)
- U.S-based Nigerian ladies who wanted to be ‘Olori’ conned by fraudster who impersonated Ooni of Ife (4 views)
- First Lady Of Cross River Drives Her Husband To Construction Site [Photos] (4 views)
- man gets stuck inside best friend’s wife (Video) (4 views)
- Premium Movers and Packers Delhi Takes Care of Every Type of Relocation (4 views)
- Mariah Carey goes on a family dinner with ex-husband Nick Cannon and their twins – see photos (4 views)
- Man rapes three-year-old stepdaughter after wife denies him sex (4 views)
- See 19-year-old model killed by a train after getting stuck on tracks during photo shoot (Photo) (4 views)
- WIRELESS SMOKE DETECTORS (4 views)
- Nysc Batch A 2017 Update – How To Correct Your Date Of Birth On The NYSC Platform (3 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Best Quality Hand Soap Refill (589 views)
- 25-year Old Boy Narrates How Yahoo Plus Works & How Is Friends Lost Their Love Ones (292 views)
- Authentic NFL jerseys (233 views)
- 21-year-old model poses nude in a ‘virgin-killing sweater (photos) (221 views)
- Davido blasts the heck out of Hushpuppi, reveals he spent over N130m in December last year (199 views)
- Davido and Hushpuppi settle their fight after a ‘peacemaker’ wades in (178 views)
- Nigerian Big Boy, Hushpuppi Mocks Davido After He Spends N11.5m In Lagos Nightclub (172 views)
- Lol Apostle Suleman’s Sex Scandal: Stephanie Otobo all smiles as she is released from Kirikiri prison (Photos) (169 views)
- Kenyan Lady outs ‘best friend’ who sends nudes to her husband and also sleeps with him (Photos) (151 views)
- Moshood Abiola Polytechnic “MAPOLY” Becomes Degree Awarding Institution (147 views)
- Are You Looking For Edge bander Machine? (143 views)
- man gets stuck inside best friend’s wife (Video) (140 views)
- Photos: Thai woman ‘tricked’ into carrying cocaine by Nigerian boyfriend sentenced to life imprisonment (140 views)
- Apostle Suleiman is innocent and I don’t know Festus Keyamo -Alleged lover confesses (139 views)
- See 19-year-old model killed by a train after getting stuck on tracks during photo shoot (Photo) (138 views)
- BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION – CIVIL ENGINEERING WORKS (137 views)
- ISIS claim responsibility for Westminster attack, say the killer answered “ISIS call to target citizens of the coalition.” (135 views)
- CALL 0800 031 4244 HP Printer customer Support number (131 views)
- Premium Movers and Packers Delhi Takes Care of Every Type of Relocation (128 views)
- HOTEL CARD LOCK RFID SYSTEM (128 views)
- REMOTE GATE AUTOMATION (128 views)
- FIRE ALARM SYSTEM AND SMOKE DETECTORS (127 views)
- ANTI THEFT EAS SYSTEM COMPLETE KIT AND INSTALLATION (127 views)
- Are You Looking Air Freshener Dispenser? (126 views)
- ENERGY SAVING SWITCH FOR HOMES, OFFICES AND HOTELS (125 views)
- Two men paraded naked after they were busted vandalizing a pumping machine in Delta State (Photo) (125 views)
- CCTV IP SECURITY SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS COMPLETE KIT SALES AND INSTALLATION (125 views)
- White glo Smokers Whitening Toothpaste 150G (124 views)
- ROLLER SHUTTER GARAGE DOORS INSTALLATION – MANUAL/ AUTOMATIC (124 views)
- Type Ads From Home. Guaranteed Income (4761) (124 views)
- Are You Looking For Liquid Soap Dispenser? (124 views)
- Work at Home Employment Opportunities (4612) (124 views)
- Are You Looking Paper Towel Dispense? (122 views)
- Are You Looking For Cheap Soap Dispenser? (119 views)
- Find and buy online First Aid & Wound Care products here (118 views)
- CAR TRACKING SYSTEM SALES AND INSTALLATION (115 views)
- Jealous Nigerian Air Force Officer Shoots His Colleague Alleged To Be His Lover Dead Because Of Love (114 views)
- Cheap Vape Pens and Vaporizers for sale 2016 (112 views)
- EMPLOYEE BIOMETRIC TIME AND ATTENDANCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (111 views)
- Jesus (our savior) tomb in Jerusalem reopens after $4m restoration (Photos) (105 views)