- Listed: March 4, 2016 1:14 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Scientists believe they have discovered a way to “steer” the immune system to kill cancers.
They have developed a method, reported in Science journal, for finding unique markings within a tumour – its “Achilles heel” – that the immune system can target.
But the approach would be expensive, need designing for each individual and has not yet been tried in patients.
Experts said the idea made sense but could be more complicated in reality.
However, the researchers believe their discovery could form the backbone of new treatments and hope to test it in patients within two years.
People have tried to steer the immune system to kill tumours before, but cancer vaccines have largely flopped.
One explanation is that they are training the body’s own defences to go after the wrong target.
The problem is cancers are not made up of identical cells – they are a heavily mutated, genetic mess and samples at different sites within a tumour can look and behave very differently.
They grow a bit like a tree with core “trunk” mutations, but then mutations that branch off in all directions. It is known as cancer heterogeneity.
The international study developed a way of discovering the “trunk” mutations that change antigens – the proteins that stick out from the surface of cancer cells.
Professor Charles Swanton, from the UCL Cancer Institute, added: “This is exciting.
“Now we can prioritise and target tumour antigens that are present in every cell – the Achilles heel of these highly complex cancers.
“This is really fascinating and takes personalised medicine to its absolute limit, where each patient would have a unique, bespoke treatment.”
There are two approaches being suggested for targeting the trunk mutations.
The first is to develop cancer vaccines for each patient that train the immune system to spot them.
The second is to “fish” for immune cells that already target those mutations and swell their numbers in the lab, and then put them back into the body.
Dr Marco Gerlinger, from the Institute of Cancer Research, said:-
“This is a very important step and makes us think about heterogeneity as a problem and why this gives cancer this big advantage.
“Targeting trunk mutations makes sense from many points of view, but it is early days and whether it’s that simple, I’m not entirely sure.
“Many cancers are not standing still but they keep evolving constantly. These are moving targets which makes it difficult to get them under control.
“Cancers that can change and evolve could lose the initial antigen or maybe come up with smokescreens of other good antigens so that the immune system gets confused.”
Some immunotherapy treatments work spectacularly with some patients’ cancer disappearing entirely.
They take the brakes off the immune system, freeing it up to fight cancer.
The researchers hope the combination of removing the immune system’s brakes and then taking over the steering wheel, will save lives.
Professor Peter Johnson, from Cancer Research UK, said: “This fascinating research gives us vital clues about how to specifically tailor treatment for a patient using their immune system.”
Dr Stefan Symeonides, clinician scientist in experimental cancer medicine at the University of Edinburgh, said designing a personalised vaccine was currently impractical, especially when a patient needed treatment straight away.
But he added that the “very elegant” study did provide a ground-breaking insight into current immunotherapy drugs, which do not yet work for most people.
“It’s not just the number of antigens, it’s how many of the cancer cells have them,” he said.
“This data will be quoted in discussions for years, as we try to understand which patients benefit from immunotherapy drugs, which ones don’t, and why, so we can improve those therapies.”
251 total views, 1 today
Users Online Now
Users: 1 Guest
Sponsored Video : WATCH
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
Popular Ads Today
- scorned girlfriend smashes cheating boyfriend’s BMW with rock – See photos (14 views)
- Man caught with charms, fetish items & tied padlocks he used to stop the progress of fellow traders in Umuahia – See photos (13 views)
- Ali Baba reacts to calls to free billionaire kidnapper, Evans ” See conversation . (13 views)
- 26-year-old woman with saggy skin condition that makes her look decades older is determined to become a model -See photos (12 views)
- Tributes pour in for female NYSC member who succumbed to pneumonia in Plateau State – See photos (11 views)
- Man who sprays urine on the cucumbers he sells in Owerri caught – See photos (11 views)
- Senate to pass bill seeking to reduce house rents in Nigeria (11 views)
- Nigerian lady asks Hushpuppi for N100k for her school and then this happened – See photos (11 views)
- Nigerian male sexual abuse survivor tells the story of his abuse by a staunch church goer and how he was taunted by people who didn’t believe him and his abuser got away (8 views)
- 47-year-old pastor rapes and impregnates 13-year-old girl in Rivers State – Watch Video (8 views)
- Mother of 4 allegedly dupes Facebook lover of N5 million in Lagos – See photo (7 views)
- Memorial for slain 17yr old Muslim teen set on fire in Washington, DC- See photo (7 views)
- Herdsmen allegedly rape, behead woman in Edo state (7 views)
- Acting president, Yemi Osinbajo meets with all state governors over recent ethnic agitations – See photo (7 views)
- Apostle Suleman presented with the highest non-resident Honorary Citizenship award in South Carolina – See photo (7 views)
- United Nation reveals ” Nigeria will become 3rd most populous country in the world by 2050 (6 views)
- Man bags six years in jail for planning to join ISIS – See photo (4 views)
- Man gets an erection standing behind a BRT passenger (Video and photos) (4 views)
- Nigerian man refuses to use condom with wife after she found out he was HIV positive (4 views)
- Former U.S VP, Joe Biden tells college students “A woman who’s dead drunk cannot consent. You are raping her.” (4 views)
- Anambra state government official, Kenneth Okonkwo aka Ocha dies after his car falls into a ditch in Anambra – See photos (4 views)
- 34 suspects, including 6 women remanded over the lynching of Capt. Mahama’s death – Ghanaian authorities – See photos (3 views)
- Flood kills Nine children in Niger as several houses collapse – See photo (3 views)
- Two men caught with head and decapitated body of schoolboy in Lagos – See photos (3 views)
- Fun Time As ‘Cristiano Ronaldo & girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez enjoy romantic break in Ibiza – see photos (3 views)
- DSS Arrests Nigerian Billionaire, Ifeanyi Ubah Over N11b Oil Theft (3 views)
- Shocking News ” 90 year-old virgin set to be immortalized in Akwa Ibom state – See photo (3 views)
- Davido’s Cousin, B-red’s Father Cleared For APC Primary, Set To Replace Their Late Uncle At The Senate (3 views)
- Police Assualt ” Nigeria Policeman strips taxi driver naked for allegedly violating traffic law (3 views)
- So painful ” Three missing sons of a Kenyan politician found dead – see photo (3 views)
- Some popular Nollywood actresses offer sex for movie roles – Seyi Hunter – see photo (3 views)
- Ghanaian man pleads guilty to making bomb threat at US University – See photo (3 views)
- 50 year old man allegedly rapes his lover’s 15 year old daughter in Bayelsa, blames the devil – See photo (3 views)
- Army arrests suspected Boko Haram terrorist, child traffickers in Bauchi & Yobe – See photos (3 views)
- WOw cool As Celebrities congratulate Banky W & Adesua Etomi on their engagement (3 views)
- Two Nigerian Men Rob Portuguese Man, Strip Unclad And Filmed (3 views)
- Benue Police smash kidnap gangs allegedly led by a female hairstylist – See photos (3 views)
- Bella Thorne explains her fling with Scott Disick and why she ended it (3 views)
- Priest stabbed in neck as he said mass in cathedral (2 views)
- National Judicial Council recalls six suspended Justices, orders their immediate resumption on June 7th (2 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Best Quality Hand Soap Refill (638 views)
- Murder Gang “Badoo” Nabbed In Ikorodu By Mob – see photos (289 views)
- Justice For Khadija Bashir: photo of 8-month-old child raped in Kano (141 views)
- Governor Okorocha rejects the appointment of his daughter into board of Federal College of Education, Omoku (136 views)
- Tragic Hit Two beautiful young women abducted, raped and shot dead in South Africa – see photos (121 views)
- Listen to skyboy song ” MAMA CARO ” this guy is killing me. DOWNLOAD (117 views)
- Entire family reportedly murdered by dreaded criminal group in Isiwu Town, Ikorodu – see photos (116 views)
- Yvonne Nelson’s reply to fan who begged her for his brother’s school fees (115 views)
- CEO Naijaloaded Makinde Azeez Ties The Knot With Longtime Girlfriend – see photos (108 views)
- Father of murdered SA girl reveals that her abusive ex-boyfriend confessed to his crime, his photos emerge! (107 views)
- Heavy downpour kills baby abandoned in a gutter in Benue – MUST CLICK TO SEE PHOTOS (107 views)
- Fun Time As ‘Cristiano Ronaldo & girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez enjoy romantic break in Ibiza – see photos (105 views)
- Female Comando” Pretty ‘deadly’ female gangster shot dead in fierce gun duel with police in Nairobi – see photos (105 views)
- Get well As Popular Yoruba actor, Pastor Ajidara suffers kidney failure- see photos (104 views)
- Police woman attached to Enugu state deputy governor, shot dead by unknown gunmen – see graphics (101 views)
- Fake soldier arrested for shooting tanker driver to death in Ogun State (99 views)
- Help at last ” Father Of Abuja Quintuplet Receives Key To Three-Bedroom Bungalow (97 views)
- Woman beaten to a pulp by her husband in Kwara – Click to see photos/ video (96 views)
- Anambra state government official, Kenneth Okonkwo aka Ocha dies after his car falls into a ditch in Anambra – See photos (96 views)
- Sad as Teenage boy reportedly commits suicide by hanging himself on a tree in Imo state – see photos (95 views)
- Cheap Armstrong Commercial Ceilings in Cincinnati, KY (95 views)
- Man stabs his 18-year-old lover to death in Bayelsa – see photos (94 views)
- Sinach takes a selfie with Obasanjo aboard a plane (94 views)
- Unidentified female accident victim at Gbadaga General Hospital, Lagos – see photos (93 views)
- Bank Harmrobbers caught with female accomplices in Edo state (93 views)
- Some popular Nollywood actresses offer sex for movie roles – Seyi Hunter – see photo (91 views)
- Zari Hassan’s billionaire ex-husband, Ivan Ssemwanga buried with cash – See photos (90 views)
- Nestle Nigeria Plc Graduate Nutrition Advisors Recruitment (89 views)
- Job Opportunities at NewsDirect Global Concepts Limited (88 views)
- Generator fumes kills three in Benin, Edo state – see photos / video (87 views)
- WOw cool As Celebrities congratulate Banky W & Adesua Etomi on their engagement (86 views)
- Wickedness: Drug dealers cut off teenager’s ear and forced him to eat it in Live stream video (graphic video) (86 views)
- Domestic violence: Nigerian politician remanded in Kuje Prison over murder of his wife – see photos (86 views)
- Black girl calls her white boyfriend her slave master in rant against black men (85 views)
- 5 year old girl and her 9 year old husband-to-be, rescued as they were almost being married off to each other (84 views)
- Banky W Steps Out For His Marriage Introduction With His Guys – see photos (84 views)
- Military kill three female suicide bombers in failed suicide attack in Maiduguri – see photos (83 views)
- Police arrest 31 suspected cultists during initiation ceremony in Imo State – see photos (82 views)
- Mural of Donald Trump kissing Pope Francis in Rome – see photos (82 views)
- Nicki Minaj confirms Nas dating rumors, admits to ‘sleepovers’ – see photos (82 views)