Cyril Ramaphosa South Africa President warns pastors against using religion to profit from vulnerable people/photo
The president of South Africa, President Cyril Ramaphosa has warned church leaders against using religion to profit from vulnerable, unsuspecting people after a Johannesburg-based pastor made headlines claiming to have raised a man from the dead on Sunday.
A video clip of prominent Pastor Alph Lukau of Alleluia Ministries praying over a man dressed in a white suit in a coffin, has been making the rounds on social media.
Following the incident, President Ramaphosa believes the government needs to talk to churches and religious leaders to stop them from taking advantage of South Africans.
“We are now given an opportunity to engage faith-based organisations on how can we work together to ensure we rid our country of bogus religious leaders who are taking our people for a ride, who are doing things that are so shocking and hoodwink people into believing they raised someone from the dead,” President Ramaphosa said.
He said the controversial behaviour of some pastors was bringing the name of the God and of churches into disrepute.
Last year, a controversial Johannesburg ‘prophet’ claimed on Facebook that he had visited heaven and took pictures on his Samsung Galaxy smartphone. The pastor then tried to sell the heavenly pictures for $360 (R5,000) each.
The Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities proposed to regulate religious practices following the investigation into the errant behaviour of some churches.
The commission was concerned about “rogue priests” who masquerade as prophets, coaxing congregants to eat grass or snakes, or exposing them to harmful substances such as the insecticide Doom, as part of “spiritual healing”.
However, President Ramaphosa was wary of attempting to regulate churches as he believes that would infringe on the people’s freedom of religion.
“If we just go overboard and start regulating churches and religions, we will have a backlash because faith-based organisations will say government is beginning to regulate in such a way that is not constitutional,” he said.
Pastor Lukau’s Alleluia Ministries Church has released a statement denying that the pastor ever claimed to have raised the dead
Listing ID: 555c78f2c7954c9
- becky: 9 comments
- Lizzy: 4 comments
- mary: 2 comments
- : 1 comment
- download: 1 comment
- Chester: 1 comment
- kaycam: 1 comment
- download: 1 comment
- Silicone bracelets: 1 comment
- エルメス 財布 レディース 二つ折り: 1 comment
Popular Ads Today
- Presidency re-affirms”Anyone who dares to put the lives of innocent citizens at risk to rig elections, must be prepared for the possibility of losing their own lives” (55 views)
- Two children among the 6 people injured when car hit a group of pedestrians outside primary school in the UK (5 views)
- Inspector General of Police orders investigation into photo of police officers doing President Buhari’s 4+4 sign (4 views)
- Singer Davido gives up on Atiku winning the presidential election’photos (4 views)
- Zidane to be given £200m to spend at Chelsea (3 views)
- Career Opportunities at First Bank of Nigeria Limited (FirstBank) (3 views)
- Ghanian actress “Moesha Boduong shares sultry photos, says that doesn’t define who she is”photo (3 views)
- 8 people killed in terrible car accident on Lagos Abeokuta express (3 views)
- 2face Idibia reacts to allegations of domestic violence/photo (2 views)
- 2019 Elections: FG declares Friday Feb 22nd public holiday, excludes bankers (2 views)
- Job Openings at Pfizer Nigeria (2 views)
- Cyril Ramaphosa South Africa President warns pastors against using religion to profit from vulnerable people/photo (1 views)
- Abuja”Buba Galadima reportedly arrested by unknown masked men”photos (2 views)
- Alex Badeh Killers revealed” How they plotted his death “photo (2 views)
- Kano”Kwankwaso’s convoy attacked “photos (2 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Presidency re-affirms”Anyone who dares to put the lives of innocent citizens at risk to rig elections, must be prepared for the possibility of losing their own lives” (5907 views)
- 2019 Election, #NigeriaDecides ‘We condemn the postponement of the elections, but urge our supporters to be patient and determined’ – APC (806 views)
- Two children among the 6 people injured when car hit a group of pedestrians outside primary school in the UK (740 views)
- Anambra state”Secondary school student Emmanuel Chukwuebuka Nnanna stoned to death by his classmate’photo (286 views)
- Graduate Transaction Trainee at Whyte Cleon Limited (264 views)
- Cyril Ramaphosa South Africa President warns pastors against using religion to profit from vulnerable people/photo (257 views)
- in Dallas” Former Edo state governor, Lucky Igbinedion’s son dies in fatal car accident “photos (244 views)
- Woman who makes money seducing men online, explains how she does it (231 views)
- 2015 Prophesy of President Buhari coming to power in 2019 if the Election Canceled few hours to time. (228 views)
- Human Resource Intern at Maurice Xandra Solutions Limited (205 views)
- 2019 Election”How Nnamdi Kanu made INEC postpone presidential election – IPOB (204 views)
- Man of God Pastor Oyedepo rains curses ahead of the presidential election/Video (197 views)
- Michael Jackson wore condoms to prevent him from wetting the bed – Doctor (196 views)
- Angry wife shoots her husband after he refused to explain a mystery phone call during their romantic Valentine’s Day dinner/photos (187 views)
- Smart reply “Here is Atiku Abubakar’s response when asked if he will concede if he loses”photos (185 views)